Installing MySQL on MacOS
Here’s how to find and download MySQL for macOS.
- Go to the MySQL website and download the disk image (.dmg).
- Double-click the file to mount the disk image and see its contents.
- Double-click the MySQL installer package from the disk. It is named according to the version of MySQL you have downloaded.
- The initial wizard introduction screen references the MySQL server version to install. Click
Continueto begin the installation.
- From the
Installation Typepage you can either click Install to execute the installation wizard using all defaults, click
Customizeto alter which components to install (MySQL server, Preference Pane, Launchd Support – all enabled by default).
Installto begin the installation process.
- Enter your password and click
- Wait while the files copy to your Mac.
Summaryis the final step and references a successful and complete MySQL Server installation.
MySQL server is now installed, but it is not loaded (or started) by default. Use either launchctl from the command line, or start MySQL by clicking
Start using the MySQL preference pane.
Launch MySQL server
- Go to
System Preferenceson your Mac.
- Click MySQL to launch it.
- Click the
Start MySQL Serverbutton to start and stop the server.
- Click the
Configurationtab to set advanced options.
This site is ad-free and doesn’t use trackers. If you’d like to support my writing, I’d love if you could buy me a coffee.